FICCI-ILIA “BhashaAnuvad” Translation Competition 2019
The last decade has seen internet companies in India solve urban problems, mainly owing to the fact that urban India adopted the internet first. With the internet and smartphone revolution in India and rising aspiration among the masses, India’s internet is about to spiral into one of the largest segments in the world.
However, the problem is that less than 1% of the total content available online, is available in Indian languages. With the aim to devise several ways in which collaborations can be done based on the industries current capabilities, challenges and possible solutions for developing the “Future of Internet” in India from their perspective.
In view of the importance of this reality, FICCI-ILIA is organizing “BhashaAnuvad” – A technology-based Translation Competition during the curtain-raiser of Bhashantara on 24th October at FICCI, New Delhi. This will be in the spirit for the development and expansion of the Indic Internet and Language Technology industry of India.
The objective of the competition would be to utilize the available translation tools and platforms of the Indic Language Technology industry for the translation of content available on public domains and contribute towards the generation of Indic content on web.
The Translation competition would be open from 24th October to 10th November 2019.
The Terms and Conditions of “BhashaAnuvad” are:
- The FICCI-ILIA Translation Competition is open to the general public of all nationalities, caste, gender, region
- The participant must be at least 16 years of age
- Competition rules
- Participant registration is mandatory. Each participant can register with only one email ID. Multiple registrations of one participant by whatsoever means are not allowed and will result in disqualification of the participant from the competition.
- The organizers will send a registration confirmation email on the registered email ID of the participant along with the user guide. Participants must read the user manual before proceeding with the translation exercise.
- Each participant will get a file of about 1000 words in English and he/she is expected to translate the file in either or all of the following language pairs:
- English - Hindi
- English - Marathi
- English - Gujrati
- English - Bengali
- English - Tamil
- The organizers of the competition do not claim ownership of the content and will provide the content ‘as-is’ from the open-source content platform without warranty of any kind. The organizers of the competition do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, completeness, legality, reliability of the content provided.
- It is mandatory for the participants to submit the task by the closing day of the competition for further review by our panel. Please refer to the organizers’ user guide for this.
- All submitted translated work will be reviewed by a panel of experienced reviewers and the ranking will be given based on the quality of the translated work. The decision of the review panel will be final and no complaints in this regard will be solicited.
- A review panel will select top 5 rankers in each of the language pairs. The results will be further shared with the Jury panel who will then select the winner in each of the language pairs. A decision of jury panel will be final and no complaints in this regard will be solicited.
- The ranking will not be communicated to the participants in any circumstances.
- Each Participant will be awarded a participation certificate.
- Five winners (one from each of the five-language pair) would be awarded during Bhashantara conference to be held on 18th November at Federation House, New Delhi.
- Participants agree that they will not claim any copyright and/or ownership of any kind on the translated work package that they have submitted.
- All the data, data sets, and competition output data will be posted on the FICCI-ILIA website for community use and development.
- For the respect of the privacy of the participants, all the personal data of the participants (i.e.: Mobile Number / Email ID / Age) will not be used or disclosed by the organizers.
- Each Participant will be awarded a participation certificate by FICCI-ILIA.
- As an appreciation of their participation, the Technology Partner will provide free access to its Rian tool for all the participants up to 5000 words/characters.
- A free access will be given on a voluntary basis to RIAN tool and will be valid for six months from the closing date of this competition.
- No warranties, promises and/or representations of any kind expressed or implied, are given to the participants as regards job opportunity and/or future work of any kind.
- The organizers will not be liable for any loss or damage of whatever nature (direct, indirect, consequential, or other) during your engagement in this competition.